Understanding the variations in different types of air purifiers doesn’t require a background in technology. But when you are in the market looking for the best air purifier for a specific context or the use case you have in mind, knowing the difference in how air purifiers work will help you make a better purchase decision.
Besides the color, brand, and model, the core differences are usually in the technology used in making each product and how they work. Whether you are intending to buy an air purifier for home use or office space, this post will help you choose the most suitable type.
Interestingly, your indoor air quality is an important factor to consider in your home. Buying an air purifier is a good investment to improve your air quality and health. This is because it helps to remove dust, smoke, and other harmful air pollutants in your indoor space. These air particles can impact your health negatively and may cause complications when inhaled.
Some air purifiers are designed to filter out coarse air particles greater than 5 microns. These particles include dust, dirt, smoke, dust mites, and pollen. While other air purifiers are capable of trapping finer air particles like pathogens, gases, and fine droplets.
In this post, we will describe the best types of air purifiers you need for your home. We’d also explain their uses based on what kind of air particles they filter best.
Types of Air Purifiers To Buy
#1: HEPA Filter Air Purifiers
HEPA is an abbreviation for High-Efficiency Particulate Air. It is a purification technology used in these types of air purifiers. For many decades, HEPA filters have been used in gas masks and filtration systems.
The purification requirement for HEPA filters is that they must trap a minimum of 99.97% of air particles bigger than 0.3 microns.
As a result, HEPA air purifiers are usually efficient to trap most air particles. These include bacteria, fine gas droplets, viruses, and molds.
Uses of HEPA Filter Air Purifiers
HEPA air purifiers work to trap air particles of different sizes. Although they cannot kill pathogens, they can reduce them. These air purifiers are effective to remove allergens like dust, pollen, smoke, dust mites, and more. Through the HEPA filter functionality, you can use this type of air purifier to reduce the chances of airborne diseases.
Related: Benefits of Using Rechargeable Air Conditioners
Best Air Purifier for Allergies
Levoit Core 400s Air Purifier (White)
This is one of the best air purifiers for eliminating allergies. It is a high-performing purifier that cleans air within minutes. Among all the Levoit air purifiers on Amazon, it is one of the bestsellers with thousands of positive reviews. Assuming you want to get rid of pet odor or urine in your home, this model has proven to work well for many homeowners like you. Click the link here to find the current Levoit Core 400S price on Amazon.
Levoit Core 400s Features
- VortexAir technology to clean 550 square feet of space in 30 minutes.
- It is equipped with multiple filter placement choices. It comes with an H13 True HEPA filter, Activated Carbon filter, and Pre-filter.
- Its QuietKEAP technology in Sleep mode lowers noise levels.
- Levoit is made with an elegant design that blends with your interior decor.
- It is equipped with a filter lifetime and a timer indicator which can be turned on or off.
Carbon Filter Air Purifiers
Carbon air purifiers have filters made with activated carbon/charcoal. The activated carbon is incorporated into the filter for purification. It works with the process of adsorption. Adsorption is a process where chemical compound droplets are attracted and stick to the surface of the carbon.
Carbon filter air purifiers are highly porous with a large surface area. This helps them to absorb huge quantities of pollutants and then purify a large space. Here is one of the best tools to improve air quality in your home office or anywhere else.
Uses of Carbon Filter Air Purifiers
Carbon filters can only trap air particles like VOCs, aerosols, and odors. They are used to purify large indoor spaces. The best air purifiers with carbon filters are often combined with HEPA filters to trap other types of air particles. This improved the effectiveness of air purification.
Best Air Purifier for Smoke
Membrane Solutions MSA3 Air Purifier
MSA3 air purifier takes the lead as an excellent air purifier for smoke. It can remove cigarette smoke, wildfire smoke, allergens, dust, VOCs, and more. Based on the positive air purifier reviews from verified buyers, this model seems to work exceptionally well for large rooms. And if you are a smoker, this Membrane Solutions air purifier can help improve the air quality for you and other family members.
Membrane Solutions MSA3 Features
- MSA3 air purifier has a good performance of purifying the air in large rooms of up to 840 square feet in an hour. It is also suitable for small and medium rooms.
- It is equipped with a 3-in-1 filtration system: a True HEPA filter, Pre-filter, and an Activated Carbon filter.
- The carbon-activated filter is upgraded with OdallerPure technology. This increases odor and smoke removal.
- It has added features like turbo mode, child lock, and sleep mode.
- It has a user-friendly design. Other features are a light switch, filter life display, and filter replacement design.
Ionic Air Purifier or Ionizer
The ionic air purifier functions with an ionic purification technology. This technology is based on the release of negatively charged ions to attract positively charged air particles.
Dust, allergens, and aerosols can get attracted to negative ions. Once the ions attach to themselves they become too heavy and fall to the floor to be swept or vacuumed away.
Ionic purifiers do not need filters to operate and are easy to maintain. But there are concerns about ozone emissions from these purifiers.
Uses of Ionizers
Ionizers are primarily used to clean the air. But they are less effective than HEPA air purifiers.
Best for Dirt and Dust
Medify MA-25 Air Purifier
This compact air purifier is perfect for removing a high amount of dust and dirt particles in the air. It can be used in the home, office, and other indoor spaces. Its price ranges from $125 and above depending on its model and size.
Medify MA-25 Features
- The MA-25 Air Purifier has good coverage as it can purify medium spaces within a short time. In one hour, it can clean up to 1000 square feet, 500 square feet in 30 minutes, and 250 square feet in 25 minutes.
- It is equipped with a HEPA H13 filtration system that can remove particles as small as 0.1 microns. It is effective in removing dust, dirt, pet dander, smoke, and more.
- It produces little or no noise running a minimum noise level of 35dB and a maximum of 51 dB.
- It has a touchscreen operation panel feature, child lock, and sleep mode. It also has a 0-8 hour timer and 3-speed settings.
Ultraviolet Air Purifiers
UV purifiers use UV rays to kill airborne pathogens like viruses, bacteria, and spores in an indoor space. Ultraviolet rays or UV rays work by destroying the RNA or DNA of the pathogens. But an optimum time and intensity are required to effectively kill a good amount of pathogens. The most effective UV light sub-band is the UV-C light.
UV light also leads to ozone emission, which is not eco-friendly. Fortunately, ozone emission can be reduced when UV purifiers use “safe” UV wavelengths.
Uses of UV Purifiers
UV purifiers use UV filters to eliminate airborne pathogens. They are usually combined with HEPA filters to improve effectiveness.
Related: 20 Essential Home Office Gadgets For Remote Workers
Best for Pathogens
POMORON MJ002H 4-in-1 Air Purifier
This compact air purifier is multifunctional and highly effective. It works to effectively clean sir with its 4-in-1 system. It can also get rid of pathogens with UV-light and negative ion dispensers. The price ranges from $47 and above depending on model and size.
POMORON MJ002H Features
- The POMORON air purifier has a 4-in-1 purifying function. They include HEPA filters, ionizers, UV-C light, and an essential oil diffuser.
- It is suitable for small to medium spaces with satisfactory coverage.
- The H13 HEPA filter is 3-layered with activated charcoal and pre-filter for high performance.
- It has an 8/12/24 hour timer function and 4 fan speeds.
- The air purifier produces very little noise with its 25dB ultra-quiet sleep mode.
- It has a compact and sleek design to suit the interior decor.
Electronic Air Cleaners
Electronic air cleaners are also known as electrostatic precipitators. They work with the HVAC system or furnace to clean the air. These purifiers work by attracting and trapping airborne particles using static electricity. Electronic air cleaners also combine HEPA filters and positively charged ions to remove 99.98% of air particles.
Uses of Electronic Air Cleaners
The air purifier is used with a central air conditioning system to improve air quality. It filters out air particles using HEPA filters and kills pathogens with static electricity.
Best Air Purifier for Molds
Honeywell F300E1019 Electronic Air Cleaner
This air cleaner is perfect for capturing airborne particles and killing harmful pathogens. It can be installed in the home, office, and any indoor space with a central air conditioning system. It is low maintenance and does not need filter replacement. Click the link here to see the current Honeywell F300E1019 price on Amazon.
Honeywell F300E1019 Features
- It is a complete system that consists of an access door, two electronic cells, two pre-filters, two post-filters, a power box, and a 120v cord.
- The HEPA and electrostatic filters capture 99.97 % of airborne particles and kill pathogens.
- It is equipped with a self-regulating dual voltage and high-frequency power supply that allows it to maintain optimum efficiency.
- The dual voltage also helps to increase particle collection surface area by increasing particle charging efficiency.
- It has a sensitive differential pressure sensor that works well with slow variable speed air handlers.
- System operation can be checked with a test button. It lacks a thermostat to regulate temperature.
Related: Air Purifier vs Air Conditioner: Which One Should I Buy?
Air purifiers improve the air quality of your home and office. They can contribute to reducing health risks due to indoor air pollution.
When looking for the best air purifiers for your home, you may need to consider certain factors. One important factor is the type of air pollutants. Many air purifiers can remove dust, dirt, and allergens. But only a few can kill pathogens, and eliminate harmful VOCs.