The best USB headset for working from home comes from different brands and in different models. Assuming this is your first time buying a headset for remote work, understanding the core features to compare will help you make a better, stress-free purchase decision.
A good headset should be the first piece of equipment you invest in when working from home because it’s the only piece of equipment you actually need to do your job effectively. It doesn’t matter what kind of computer you use, whether you have an office space or if you work on your kitchen table, if you don’t have a good headset, it can be very difficult to work efficiently and effectively as a remote employee.
If you’re considering buying the best USB headset for working from home, here are several things to consider before making your final choice.
Related: The Benefits of Using Bluetooth Speakers In Your Home Office
What Are Some USB Headset Features To Consider When Buying One?
The Jabra Evolve 2 is perfect for those who want a microphone boom and noise-canceling features. This headset also comes with an hour of battery life and has call control. Jabra’s UC Bluetooth USB adapter lets you work remotely by giving you clear sound.
Noise-canceling headsets allow you to have power over your environment so that you can hear people on the phone clearly, even in crowded, noisy environments like busy offices or coffee shops. One feature that these devices typically include is active noise cancellation, which uses microphones to capture external sounds and cancel them out.
Another option to choose from is passive noise cancellation which blocks outside noises but doesn’t actively cancel them.
If you’re looking for a USB headset with excellent active noise cancellation, then the Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Canceling Wireless Headphones may be what you need!
Related: Wireless vs Wired Headphone Comparison: Which One Should I Buy?
How To Choose The Best USB Headset For Working From Home?
Choosing the right one can be daunting if you are an avid gamer or just need a USB headset while working from home. Luckily, there are some features that will help you narrow down your selection process. Here is what to look out for:
- Types of noise: You will want to know if the USB headset has active noise cancellation, like the evolve2.
- Ear compatibility: Headsets like the SteelSeries Siberia 800 have interchangeable earpieces to better fit smaller ears.
- Design and build quality: Make sure it’s comfortable and feels sturdy in your hands. It should also have an intuitive design, so you don’t have to read the manual for hours.
- Product reviews: Look into the USB headset reviews from past buyers and users
How To Use Your USB Headset?
You can purchase a USB headset and use it with your laptop or desktop computer to get the most out of your time. The USB headsets range in price, so consider how much you want to spend before buying anything.
It’s important to remember that additional cables may be necessary depending on your computer type – USB cables are not included with all USB headsets.
Benefits of Using The Best USB Headset For Working From Home
USB headsets offer a level of mobility. If you’re working from home, they could be an excellent option for various reasons that include:
- USB headsets allow you to stay connected without being tethered to a stationary phone.
- A USB headset offers more convenience than a corded set because users don’t need an extension cord and can move around more freely than they would if using a landline phone.
- Noise-canceling USB headsets often come with sensors that adjust automatically based on surrounding noises, allowing them to minimize outside sound distractions and focus solely on voice communication.
What Is A USB Headset’s Lifespan?
A USB headset’s lifespan is determined by its quality and the care given to it. A well-made USB headset will last for about 3 years, but if you take good care of it, that time span can increase up to 5 years. That being said, many people don’t know how to keep their USB headsets in tip-top shape, and they break after 6 months or so because they used the wrong cables or plugged them into the wrong device.
If you’re looking for some tips on how to prolong the life of your headset, we recommend the following:
- Use the right cable, and always use the USB extension when plugging your headset into different devices.
- Be sure not to use over-the-ear headphones as they put too much pressure on the ears; this damages both the earbuds and ear pads, decreasing durability.
- Always unplug from one device before plugging into another; this prevents having multiple things plugged in at once, increasing wear and tear on your headphone cord.
Related: Home Office Headphone Buying Guide For Beginners
There are many different options when looking for a USB headset. Still, one option that might make sense to most people is an inexpensive USB headset without additional features like sound isolation or Bluetooth connectivity.
This might not be the case, depending on your job type and where you’re doing it. If you’re always sitting in one place, this headset might work fine for your day-to-day office tasks but maybe not if you’re constantly moving around, such as during a field recording.
Other factors to consider while choosing a USB headset include comfort, noise cancellation, and sound quality. Investing in a good headset will make your work-from-home experience much more pleasant and productive.