A garden office is an outbuilding erected as a detached home office. It is a good investment for people who work from home, whether as solopreneurs or remote workers. Good flooring is an essential aspect to consider when constructing your garden office. This is because it is a highly used surface and affects your garden office’s functionality.
The best flooring materials for garden offices should be resilient and stylish to your taste. A good garden office flooring will increase your productivity and convenience while on the job.
With many flooring materials available, only a few are best for garden office construction. Read further to explore the types of flooring for the garden office.
Qualities of A Good Garden Office Floor
A garden office is used mainly for conducting business activities. So, not all flooring types are suitable for garden office construction. Below are the qualities that every good garden office flooring should have:
- Sturdy and Resistant: To a large degree, a garden office floor should be strong and resistant to harsh weather, decay, scratches, fire, hazards, or wear and tear.
- Well-Ventilated: Ventilation allows air to flow in and out of specific areas of the garden office, especially the walls and floor. Vegetation around the garden office can cause high humidity and condensation.
This leads to the accumulation of moisture, mold, and rot that can damage the flooring. Wooden floors are more susceptible to this damage. So, selecting a strong and resistant wood type is essential. Also, use a foundation system that suspends the floor’s flooring, allowing air to circulate.
- Durable: Good flooring may cost money, but it will last longer than cheaper flooring. Durable flooring is usually highly resistant and strong. It is essential to ensure that your choice of flooring material is durable.
- Well-Insulated: A good flooring material is well-insulated to prevent heat from escaping. This makes the floor and room more comfortable during colds. It also helps to reduce your heating and cooling costs.
- Visual Appeal and Low Maintenance: The best floors are elegant and yet, less costly to maintain. They are also easy to clean, and this preserves their appeal.
Different Types of Flooring Materials for Garden Office
Laminate flooring is one of the most popular types used for garden office construction. This is because it is cost-effective, durable, and easy to clean. It resembles a wooden floor when constructed due to its veneer surface. This gives a visually appealing effect.
It is a type of engineered wood flooring made by using pressure to combine four different layers:
- The bottom layer: Is reinforced with melamine for structural stability and to prevent moisture.
- Fiberboard core: This layer comprises of composite materials, including high-density wood fibers. It makes up the bulk of laminate flooring.
- Decorative layer: This thin layer creates an appealing surface for the flooring. It is made in various designs.
- Thread layer: This layer is a strong and resistant material that covers the decorative layer. It is thin, transparent, and usually made of melamine and aluminum oxide.
To construct the laminate flooring, all the layers are pressed together with pressure. Two methods are used: direct pressure laminate (DPL) and high-pressure laminate (HPL). The HPL is considered the strongest and most durable of the two methods.
Another popular flooring type used for garden office construction is wood. Wood flooring might not be cheap, but it makes up for high strength and durability. It also has insulation but needs ventilation to avoid moisture accumulation and damage.
There is a wide range of wood flooring types, each with unique features, appearance, and function. The common wood flooring types used nowadays are:
- Cork Flooring: This flooring is made from processing the bark of the cork oak tree to form flooring tiles. They are more moisture-resistant than solid wood flooring.
- Solid Wood Flooring: Also called natural wood flooring because it is made of pure wood. It is processed as thick wood planks that are either from hardwood or softwood trees. Solid flooring is high quality, durable, and can be refinished.
- Engineered Wood Flooring: Layers of timber are laminated with a strong wood adhesive. The top layer is made of real wood, which resembles solid wood flooring. Engineered wood flooring is easier to install than solid wood flooring. They are a common option for garden offices.
- Bamboo flooring: This flooring is made from the hardened stem of bamboo grass. It is sustainable and eco-friendly because bamboo is a renewable, fast-growing plant. Bamboo stems are pressed into planks used for flooring. They are relatively cost-effective, strong, and durable.
Vinyl flooring is made of layers of synthetic materials pressed together. It is a common flooring type that is durable, moisture resistant, and easy to clean and maintain. It has various appealing designs that mimic the looks of wood, stone, and tile flooring.
Vinyl flooring is also more affordable and easier to install than wood and laminate flooring. Vinyl floors can be in form of sheets or luxury vinyl tiles (LVT). Sheet vinyl flooring comes in large flexible sheets, while LVT is in tile form and is high quality.
Carpet Tiles Flooring
Carpet tiles are versatile, durable, and resistant flooring materials. They are also easy to install and come in various designs. The synthetic materials used for carpet tiles make their insulators. So, they give a cushion feeling to the feet.
Carpet tiles are easy and inexpensive to maintain. You can replace a damaged tile with a new one without changing the whole floor. Carpet tiles come in different types, such as:
- Woven tiles,
- Flatweave tiles,
- Vinyl tiles,
- Tufted tiles,
- Need felt tiles, and
- Fiberglass tiles.
Carpet tile flooring is commonly used for commercial rooms because it can withstand heavy traffic. But you can still use them for your garden office since they have a high aesthetic appeal.
If you need highly water-resistant flooring for your garden office, then a rubber floor is for you. It is also durable, insulated, and strong. Rubber flooring is soft under the feet, making it ideal for children’s playgrounds and gyms. But it can add to the convenience of your garden office.
Although sheet rubber flooring is more common, the tiled type also exists. Tile rubber floors can be interlocked or square-edged in form. They are available in many designs, colors, and textures. Although pricey, rubber floors are resilient, low maintenance, and recyclable.
A carpet is a textile floor covering that you can use in your garden office. Carpets made with natural materials like wool are more expensive than artificial ones. Types of carpet can either be tufted using a tufting machine or woven by hand.
Unlike rugs, carpets come in sheets and are installed wall-to-wall. This makes them easy and less expensive to install. Low-pile carpets are less soft but easy to clean. In contrast, high pile carpets are more cushioned but trap dirt easily.
Carpets create a visual appeal because they appear fluffy and come in various designs. They are also stain-resistant and durable. A carpet can improve the convenience of your garden office. This is because they give a soft and comfortable feel to the feet.
Ceramic Tile Flooring
Ceramic tiles work well for any area in or outside your home, including your garden office. It has a hard, solid surface that is easy to clean and maintain. It is also highly resistant to water, fire, decay, harsh chemicals, or scratches. This makes them an excellent material for indoor and outdoor floors.
Ceramic tiles come in many shapes and colors. Cement or epoxy is used to fill the spaces within the tiles and hold them in place. Although ceramic tiles can be tricky to install, they are durable and highly resilient.
If ceramic tiles are too cold for your feet, you can opt for an underfloor heating option. Other alternatives are wearing footwear or getting a rug for your office.
Importance of Constructing A Garden Office
- A garden office improves your work productivity. It provides a serene environment where you can focus on doing your work.
- It increases the property value of your home. If you ever need to sell your property, you will attract more buyers with a garden office.
- It helps with workplace privacy. You can work comfortably with reduced monitoring by outsiders.
- You get more space in your main home. A garden office will save you that extra room or space in the living room.
- Being close to nature can give you a calm mind. And with a calm mind, you can think and work better.
In garden office construction, flooring is an important aspect to consider. This is because it is a highly used surface in the garden office. It also adds to the convenience and functionality of your garden office.
Good flooring should have durability, strength, resistance, and visual appeal. Low-maintenance flooring is less of a hassle and easy to clean. Good floors should also be well-ventilated and insulated.
The flooring types listed in this article have some or all qualities. They also come in various stylish designs to suit your taste. It is always best to have an idea of the features of the floor type you need for your garden office.